Burners: Nottingham Camp

With not long till World Cups, I needed to make the most of every training opportunity so last weekend I headed to Nottingham for a weekend camp with Jacko and the Burners. Despite some brief showers, the weather was great and even had an outing in a shorty!

Saturday
Before we got on the water, we had an unexpected surprise that course control and the changing rooms had a brand new look. In a new building, with brand new showers and even a space to sit down out of the rain, it was looking very smart. 

We were soon on the water after a quick warm-up and wanting to make the most of every feature. Inlet was difficult to paddle up, so to save energy decided to head down to the other features. Twin seemed to have changed a little bit since last time, but it was still great. After it being my nemesis for almost 2 years, I have finally overcome this and am gaining confidence in every session. Some work on trim allowed lots of easy spins to set up for other moves. Loops and Space Godzillas went nicely and even began trying a Phonics Monkey, although his was less successful.

After some time playing on twin, we headed down to newest features on the course: Bridge Wave and Hole. That’s right; there is a wave in Nottingham. It’s a really friendly feature, but as we found on Sunday, can become quite flushy. However, it is possible to Donkey Flip and even Air Screw on it! Just below is Bridge Hole, a fairly meaty torrent of white foam. This feature is a lot more intense than some of the other features on the course, but did manage to land a few loops and a few cartwheels on the surfer’s right shoulder. However, after a first encounter when I plugged a bit too hard in my carbon, has left me a little cautious of this feature.

During the day, I worked on adapting my moves to different features and using trim to help moves. Soon we headed back to the campsite and after tea had a game of Frisbee and catch as well as trying out some new exercises.

Sunday
Today we got on the course just before 10am and spent some time in inlet with a rope to pull up to save energy. I worked on kinaesthetic feeling as opposed to visual cues when performing moves and also improving recovery so I can link to next moves. During the morning session I also worked on McNastys!

Again, we spent some time on twin and bridge hole, but the majority of the session was spent on inlet refining and learning moves.  

I also focused on competition rides and generating intensity needed for every ride. By doing this, I found that the start of my routine is strong, but weaker at the end. To combat this, I am going to focus on moves nearer the end of my routine to refine the movement and also working on fitness so I have enough power to perform these moves to the best of my ability.


Comments