HPP Training

Recently, I have been selected to be part of Sweetwater Coaching's ASP programme. This is a real honor and privilege to be accepted onto this scheme aimed to develop paddlers to reach international success.

On Wednesday, despite still having one exam left, I travelled to Nottingham for a training session with Dennis Newton who leads the ASP programme.

We started with competition run practise ready for World Cups. This is a really useful part of practise and something I should do more of, as it helps develop consistency and allows for the mental challenges of competitive atmospheres. After a quick warm up, I had the first of my three rides, which with a new boat, went surprisingly well. My second two rides weren't as successful so we did another round or three 45 seconds rides.


After a quick break and some food, we got back on the water and began working on loop variations, cartwheels and linking moves. As link bonuses have increased this was incredible useful and am now working on loop to cartwheel, cartwheel to loop and even tried splitwheel to loop. It was great fun and the weather was beautiful as well!

In the final session, I had a go a few McNastys again. Although the beginning ones were very close, I soon became tired and decided to call it a day, as had my final GCSE exam the next day.

I am beyond excited to be working with Dennis and the other athletes, and to be developing my own performance ready to World Cups and Europeans! My goal for World Cups is to score rides between 200-300 points which should enable me to reach my ultimate goal of 400 points at European Championships.

Comments