Cardiff White Water Course

With Hurley still only on one gate, HPP still planned to be closed, and my desire to go kayaking; for the second weekend running I was down at CIWW. This time though the stereotypical Welsh weather was also there. Despite it being chilly and windy, I was happy that the whole day it was on 8 cumecs. 

Surfplugs were also over taking moulds and orders for ear plugs - an invaluable piece of kit if you want to hold onto your hearing. Particularly for freestyle paddlers, and white water paddles who are submerged frequently, the combination of cold water and wind can cause growths that block the ear canal. This is surfer's ear. And the only solution currently other than prevention, is having the growths drilled out. For knowing kayakers who have had it done, they can assure everyone, it is horrible and totally worth wearing plugs

While on the water, and wearing my Surfplugs, I chose to practise my cartwheel orientated moves and begin to try link them. Even on 8, the course is relatively shallow, so although I did a fair few loops and space Godzillas, I thought it would be more of a benefit to try some different moves too. As well as cartwheels, I spent quite a while practising Phonics Monkeys in the feature on the corner and McNastys down on camera wave. 

I guess many people overlook the cartwheel and I am definitely guilty of this. However, with more of my emphasis heading towards trying to link moves, I have begun to value the usefulness and importance of this move. So after practising both sides, I then progressed onto split wheels and then linking it all together. On the flat, I have tried doing a lot of tricky woo practise, so I then tried this out in the feature too. 

On the way to Cardiff, I had found out HPP had reopened and that I could have actually gone kayaking there. But at the end of the day, I'm glad I still went to CIWW as in a way, it forced me to orientate my sessions around doing ends rather tat just trying to go massive. 

Comments