HPP Training and ASP

After GB Training, myself and Jake Norman stayed up in Nottingham to get some much needed water time in as we have both just returned from trips abroad. It was great to be training and really felt like I have progressed in the last few days.




On Monday, we did three sessions, and were on the water when the course opened to when it shut! For most the day, I worked on Space Godzillas as I was struggling to score them while at World Cups. Along with this, I also worked on McNastys and focusing on doing more on my off side. In the evening we were joined by Rob and Nicky (and a few rafts) to do a session, where I focused more on chunking moves together to develop a ride. 

The following day, as part of Sweetwater Coaching's ASP, Den joined Jake and I for the day. Before Den arrived, Jake and I held a mini competition, forcing our bodies to work at these intense levels while tired was useful but exhausting. When Den arrived, we were doing a quick video analysis session before a few katas and then back on the water for another session. 

After practicing some Space Godzillas the day before, Den helped me refine them to an even better standard and we began trying to link them to cartwheels, which was fun but still work in progress. I also continued working on McNastys mixed in with cartwheel and split wheel practice. 

We even tried hand paddling in inlet!


Our final session, we were joined by Nicky again, and was focused on the small wave just above troll hole. First we started off we just carving around, pivoting and positioning the boat on the feature. I then began trying a few roundhouses and blunts with very varied success, and for a bit of fun... airscrews! On my first attempt, I mistimed the bounce and just fell on my face, but my second attempt was much closer and almost retained it.

In the last few days at Nottingham, I feel as if I have progressed a lot, but there is still plenty of work to do in time for Europeans as I begin to finalize my ride and continue to work on it. 



Comments