Vltava Expedition with Girlguiding


The last week and a half has taken a change in pace as I have been involved in a International Girlguiding trip to the Czech Republic. Although still paddle orientated,  I swapped the usual whitewater for a calmer river, and a playboat for a two man canoe.


We arrived in the Czech Republic on the Saturday, spent Sunday packing and then began paddling the stretch from Vyssi Brod on Monday, with a group of Czech Scouts. On Monday we paddled 12 miles, 10 miles on Pirate Tuesday (we fancy dress for Imaani's 16th birthday) and then 23 miles on Friday, due to not being able to paddle Thursday as there was torrential rain and thunder storms. I really enjoyed the paddling despite hurting my back on a rock after falling in at a weir and having to take a trip to the local hospital. 



The last few days were been spent in Prague, generally being tourists: doing everything from segways to the zoo, and light shows to the Hard Rock Cafe. We even saw a brief view of the white water course! Only knowing a little about the Czech Republic before I left, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of history and beauty in both Prague and smaller towns we visited along the way.


I am now back in the UK ready to continue training for Europeans, although am taking it steady with my back.

For more pictures, see our official trip blog:



Comments