Festive Hurley



As most people are rushing to put the final touchings on Christmas presents, get last minute gifts and prepping for the big day - we headed down to Hurley to go kayaking!


Despite it being the middle of winter, it was surprisingly mild on Monday morning, and with the majority still at work or getting ready for Christmas, there was only myself, Alex, Hugo and Louis paddling on Hurley's 4 gates. 

This was my first time ever paddling 4 gates. 

With this in mind, I planned to make the most of it so decided to treat it as a "brand new" feature (as it is very different to any other amount of gates). Therefore, I worked up through moves, mainly staying in the hole gate. I tried everything from spins and shuvits to space Godzillas and McNasty's. 



By doing this, I felt like I made lots of progress and as the hole gate is fairly consistent, these skills will be transferable to future paddling on all levels. 

After lunch, it had dropped to 3 gates, which is usually great, but as the levels were still quite high, the middle gate became very flushy. So I mainly stayed in the hole gate as you can still do wave moves and it was very difficult to cross the shoulder.


For the next two sessions I stayed in my plastic competition Rockstar so I could practise loops and space Godzillas without worry of breaking my boat. However, for the final session on Tuesday evening, I swapped to my carbon. This was very weird as it is the 2012 style of Rockstar, and the outfitting still wasn't completely secure. Although, it was great fun trying blunts as it felt like I could begin to get air, and also try a few airscrews!



Finally things seemed to be clicking and although work is still needed, both technically and in terms if competition, it is great to feel like I am making progress. 


Comments