GB @ Cardiff


For the first GB Event of 2015 (other than Selections of course) we headed to Cardiff International WWC. As it was an afternoon/evening competition there was even time for a quick shop before competing. 

When we arrived, Wales was reinforcing the stereotype of rainy, grey and cold! 

However, once on the water we completely forgot about the weather. The feature we used was the same one we used for previous competitions, which helped as it has been a long time since paddling holes (with the exception of Nottingham). 



After a few rides, I was starting to become a bit more tuned in with the feature again and by the time the competition came around was eager to go. I was in the first heat, which meant I didn't have to stand in wet kit, so as soon as the water was back on - we were back on.


The competition was a jam format, and so my rides went fairly well, but struggled with Space Godzillas. Instead I went for cartwheels and splitwheels to try and increase points, but unfortunately ran out of time to attempt a Phonics. The last 5 minutes were the "Big Loop" contest, and I finally managed to get a good Space - but it wasn't a loop so it didn't count. 



After getting into warm clothes, I watched the other heats, chilled and played with the children before prize giving. In the Junior Women, Heidi came 3rd, Sophie 2nd and I had come 1st! (But was denied a muffin as I'm an "athlete".) 


I was really pleased to have won, but I had had lots of fun competing as it felt very laid back and relaxed, which actually was more important. Also, I really enjoyed paddling with some new people and also catching up with everyone else. 





Comments