12 Days of Burners - Habitat v2.0

Day 3

On the third day of Burners, we surfed Habitat, and cooked for thirteen. 




 After a considerably quicker and earlier breakfast than yesterday, we were soon on our wave for another day at Habitat. When we got there, there was a lot less surfers than previous and we were all eager to get on, although aching slightly.






For the morning session, I was based on the small wave, and was working on increasing my edge on blunts, and also wanted to try back blunts properly and an airscrew. Dropping in a felt a little more tuned in than the day before, but I was still unsure on how far is too far to carve out, and flushed a few times setting up. Over the session, I became frustrated at not being able to do something that seemed relatively straight forward to me, and consequently was limiting the move. I also found it difficult, as I felt so far away from a move that I thought I had grasped in Uganda. 



However, I couldn't let this dampen the session or the experience, and reminded myself that I was surfing a wave, in a massive river on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. I couldn't not have fun!





After lunch break, with some acrobatics and gymnastics, we were soon on the water again, and this time I was on the big wave. Although there were a few more surfers, I didn't want to let this distract me from my focus: to go more vertical. After a few rides, I begun to settle in, but was still struggling with the fundamentals. Even setting up, I was finding inconsistent as coming through the pile to throw a move seemed so alien from Nile Special. I managed to stay positive and keep going, trying more ways to overcome the challenge. Towards the end of the session, I slowly began to crank the angle up, but still needs more work. I had found the day really tough, more psychologically, as I feel I have gone backwards in my training. 






Today was the turn of Quim, Charlie, Ravi and I to cook, and after initial confusion on what we were preparing, we made (lots of) pasta, cheese sauce, broccoli, mushrooms, bacon and salad. 


Comments