Nottingham & NFL #1

Freedom at last!

For the first time ever, I drove myself to kayaking, paddled, competed, and then drove home again.


I arrived just before lunch time, and with the course relatively empty, I was straight on the water. Recently I have spent more time practising right McNasty (as it is my stronger side), so I made sure I also focused on doing switch McNasty and then also trying normal left McNasty's. I also kept trying to link more moves together, although it still felt cold, despite it now being "summer". 


After a late lunch, it was back on the water for some more paddling and we also headed down the course to try the other features out. Twin was very meaty but I did manage some moves including spins, loops and a few phonics attempts (along with unintentional ends and a good beating). I then had a quick ride on Jaws (which is very shallow) before dropping into Troll with an attempt at a Macho move while dodging slalom boaters. A small wave has also formed just below, so I took a few rides to try blunts. To top it all off, I then had a quick ride on Muncher, before back to the top of the course and to inlet. 


In the evening, it was then the début event of the NFL (but not the football one). The Nottingham Freestyle League is a brand new, fun and social based kayaking event where you pick your category depending on points and show off official ICF, but also many unofficial moves. Aimed at enjoyment and getting people into the sport, it was definitely a great night. 

After filling in the simplest entry form ever, and paying just £2, heat lists were quickly put together and then the real action kicked off! 




Based in twin, it was a jam session of 20 (ish) minutes to score anything from a paddle spin to lunar, and car bomb to loop. Although I did more power flips than moves, it was still a really FUN event - with Footitt commentating on the "banter phone", slalom boats and paddlers trying, and everyone just having a sociable paddle. I finished 4th in the 1500 point category, but was still happy and one a prize for being the only girl!

Bring on the next event!!




(More photo's search Alex Wilkinson Photography, or check out Facebook!)

Comments