Uganda - Second First Impressions

This time, I largely knew what I was letting myself in for: sun, warm water, and world class rapids. 



Spending the first week on the island paradise of the Hairy Lemon, it really was just the case of eat, sleep, kayak. The river has been high most days meaning lots of time paddling on Nile Special, but we also were lucky enough to get to surf Malalu. It was awesome to paddle somewhere new and especially as it is usually rare to come in.

In addition, we have done two river runs in this first week, with some of the guys running Itanda as well. 




We fully immersed ourselves in island life spending the time out of boats playing volleyball, Frisbee golf, Danish chess and cards. 



For me, it is a very different experience to last time as there is not the impending wave World Championships. The island was definitely a lot quieter than last year, and also the eddy! However, one thing that is definitely the same is that I am still keen to push my boating. With this is mind, after reminding myself of blunting on special, I have now begun working more on back blunts and pan ams.





We have now moved into Nile River Explorer's in Bujagali in order to access more river runs and also to paddle super hole. Even living off the island, life is still very chilled with only kayaking, taxis and food to consider. 

Although I generally knew what I was in for when going to Uganda, there are many surprises still in wait. Whether this being a how orange everything is, or how quick everything goes, or even just how big the water is - in sheer size and volume. 









Comments