GB Selections 2017

Another year and another round of Selections. Having been out of a boat for the majority of winter it has been strange getting back into a boat, and quite a rush to prepare coming back from Ugandan waves...



Event 1 - Cardiff



Despite having paddled the course a couple of times in the last few weeks, on the 10 cumecs session Friday night, I was still struggling with the feature as well as being thrown off by a number of other factors.

This meant on Saturday I was still unsure on my ride and although I had one in mind, I knew it was going to be a tough event. However, during the day I decided to take another opportunity to jump in my Zen and do some big boating - which was actually pretty fun, although really quite tiring (they take a lot more energy to move than a playboat!). 

As usual with events at Cardiff, the competition didn't start until well into the evening and I was also in the penultimate heat, so was gone 7:30pm by the time I was up. Having struggled with the feature, I didn't manage to moves or rides down that I wanted and additionally hurt my back a little bit on my second ride. In the end I finished joint 5th, which is a little disappointing, but I guess that is sport, and sometimes things don't go in your favour. 

It is the a week's wait until the second event in Nottingham on the infamous inlet gate at HPP. Hopefully get some training in during the week and just enjoy the competition. 




Event 2 - HPP

The second event in GB Selections was at Nottingham. Having had a rough time at Cardiff, for me this was more about showing myself I could put in some good rides and reinstalling some confidence.


After lots of waiting (I was the last paddler), it was finally time to go and I felt pretty chilled out. I managed to put down some good rides, even scoring a McNasty which was pretty exciting, and links on a couple of moves. However, with a few moves being slightly off the mark they didn't quite score. 



In the end, in a pretty high calibre field, I finished 4th, behind Islay, Nicky and Lowri. Now it is a case on waiting to see on the overall results, but with the year ahead it looks like I may be out of World Championships and taking the reserve spot for Team GB for 2017.
Anyway it was an awesome event and fun to be on the water, feeling a lot more relaxed than last week and my back being significantly better. 



Thanks to Tom Clare for photos!

Comments

  1. AAAahhhh well done Em great effort from all of us at Surfplugs :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment