Nottingham Training

Sunday

Rain. Hail. Lightening. And a bit more rain. The drive to Nottingham was not the nicest, and pitching our tent even less pleasant.  But it was an awesome few days training none the less. 

On Sunday, I spent the morning squirt boating with a few locals and World Champion, Claire O’Hara. I have only had a boat for a few weeks despite being selected for Europeans back in November, so was great to get on the water with fellow boaters. (And were even joined by a car that had slid off the bank!) We spent time working on bow screws both ways, a bit a cartwheeling and linking moves before heading down the course. As squirt boats are already virtually sunk, the idea of paddling down the course after so little time in a boat made me feel a little nervous. But I was looked after well and successfully made it down the course to where we would practice mystery moves. These had varying success, but after some time I began to get the hang of them although more work is needed.


Ben Aldred in inlet

After a short lunch break, I got back on to practice some freestyle with Charlie in his new GuiGui (which already had taken a battering in inlet). We spent some time practicing in inlet, where I worked on refining moves and learning to phonics monkey. After 3 weeks without much paddling due to exams, it was great to be back on the water, but took some time to get moves back to their previous standard. 


Despite a long felt disliking to twin, I knew I needed to practice there as it is a favorite for competitions. And, initial feelings aside, training here was fairly successful, acting as proof of my recent progression. I comfortably managed spins and even loops, and one accidental space godzilla. 




Monday

Due to high water levels, the course was shut to the public - which in a way worked out better for us. I had been joined by Jake Norman for the day, and also met Rob Crowe, Claire O’Hara and Dennis Newton on the water.

I had set myself the task of working on McNasty and phonics monkeys for the day, with emphasis on bilateral progression. We spent the morning predominantly working on inlet to learn new moves and combos. With help from everyone, I finally managed a McNasty, which is super exciting!! To continue this, I need to further work on my timing and ensure I begin to stand up during the spin to maximize the pop. After this success, I began trying some on my weaker side, however this was slow progress and far from it being scored, but it’s a start. I also continued working on my phonics monkey, and now need to ensure I free up my paddle to finish the loop.




Throughout the day, and with a virtually empty course, we made the most of all the features, having sessions on inlet, twin, bridge wave and bridge hole, focusing on adapting moves to the feature. It was incredible to paddle with Claire O’Hara and Dennis Newton for a second day, and help off them, Jake and Rob, has proved to be very beneficial to my performance.

Despite aching limbs and sore muscles, it is awesome to be back on the water after a few weeks off, and to be working on moves and being able to see the development with each session. My training is now focused on several shorter sessions, as opposed to one full day session, which has allowed me to paddle more efficiently and remain focused, optimising progression. 





Comments