European Championships - part 3

Thursday

So the competition began bright and early this morning at 8 am with the first of the senior men's prelims. Alan and Rob were in the first heat, and then Gav, Pringle and Weighty all in later heats; all 5 made it through to quarters (top 20)!


 

During a break, some of us went to cool down at the bottom of the course, jumping off the pontoon into the lake. It was super refreshing and topped of perfectly with lunch and an ice cream.

By the time of senior women, GB had set up camp on the seating on river left, with a union jack beanbag, flags, and plenty of water as it was boiling. Islay had two consistent rides and made it through to semis in 7th, but unfortunately neither Gabby or Paula made it through despite having some great rides.


After it was time for the junior men (Jake, Johnny and Hugo), who all did awesome finishing 6th, 7th and 11th respectively. The unusual nature of the feature was highlighted by the lower scores and the fact that the senior quarter finals cut off was lower than the juniors semi finals cut off. I then headed back to the campsite for food and to get ready for my prelims while the C1 had their turn on the feature. All three British C1 paddlers made it through to semi finals safely!

Then it was my turn.

I followed my usual routine and got on just like any other day and as I was in the second heat, I knew what I needed to score to make finals before my rides. Before the second heat, a loop in one of my two rides would ensure me a place in the finals. I just had to loop.

However, as I entered the feature and plugged for a first loop, I didn't quite feel my usual energy and snappiness. My first loop twisted and did not score so I tried the loop again and it scored along with a spin, for a first ride of 100 points. As I went for my second ride I was in 2nd place meaning I was guaranteed a spot in the finals. It GB was huge weight lifted off my shoulders. My second ride wasn't as good but it was still enough to make it through in 2nd. Kim also made it through to finals in 4th after two tough rides.

Overall, I definitely didn't paddle my best but considering the late start time and feature, I was happy to have scored what I did and make it through to finals on Saturday.


Friday

It's a day off float boating today for me as quarter and semi finals take place for the other categories. However, my squirt prelims are at lunch time.

We began the day watching the senior men's quarter finals before the squirt boating began. The men were up first and Tom from Poland was borrowing my boat so I watched and cheered on all the GB paddlers who all had fab rides. Next it was the women and I was in the first heat.



My rides weren't great and I struggled to get mystery moves on both rides. However, I managed to score some moves on the flat section in order to finish 4th and make finals tomorrow. I didn't expect to make finals in squirt so everything now is a bonus and I am just going to enjoy it.

Immediately after squirt, lots of us went swimming as the weather is super hot again. After jumping in a few times, pushing a raft into the lake to sit on and then a few more jumps it was time to begin watching the semi finals.

Both Jake and Johnny had made semi finals but unfortunately neither made finals despite some great paddling. The C1 then followed and with all three from Great Britain in semi finals, there was plenty of cheering. Adam made it through to finals but unfortunately neither Josh or Andy did. After a short judges break, it was senior women's semi finals where Islay was paddling in the first heat. After a short wait for results, Islay had made it through in 5th to tomorrow's finals! 



It was then the senior men's semi finals - which were INSANE! Unfortunately, Alan and Gav were knocked out, but Pringle made it through in 3rd. History was also made as Csonka beat Sebastien  Devred's high score from the World Cups, meaning Peter Csonka's ride of 1830 is now the highest scoring ICF ride ever!! The standard of paddling was ridiculous considering how difficult the feature is.




Everyone then gathered to watch the squirt men's semi finals at the bottom of the slalom course as all four paddlers had made it through. It was getting dark and hard to see at times but GB were still there cheering (along with the Germans). All the British paddlers had great rides but unfortunately Sam finished 6th and Dan 10th, meaning they weren't to join Alex (1st) and Ben (3rd) in tomorrow's finals. 

I was exhausted from sitting in the sun so much, so after a quick bite of food headed to bed even though it was only 9:30! However, as there was a wedding at the whitewater course, there was lots of noise and music (including YMCA) so I didn't sleep great. 




Video of senior men's semi final including Csonka's new record ride!

Saturday

It's been a pretty chilled morning today waking up around the usual time and having breakfast before a quick chat with the coaches.

At 10 am it was the women's squirt finals. 



My first ride was ok but you forget how quick a minute is when you are actually doing your ride. As I sat in the eddy, pins and needles set in while I was waiting for my second ride, which in the end wasn't great. My third and final ride scored a few points more than the first and after a short wait, I found out I had finished 4th. Considering I had been finding mystery moves difficult and couldn't get any downtime n the day, I am pleased with result as I didn't even expect to make the finals (especially as this is my first international competition for squirt). Fellow GB paddler Jen, did awesome and as well as making finals, finished in silver!


Immediately after the women's, it was the men where Ben and Alex were competing. Alex came 1st as in semi's and is now European Champion and Ben finished 3rd, meaning three medals for Great Britain before lunch!



I then had "lunch" at 11 am and we went and chilled in the hotel to play ping pong and listen to music before paddling later.

Soon it was my turn.


Despite following my usual routine to get ready, when there are finals looming, something always feels different. In the end, I had three pretty poor rides and scored low, placing me in 4th overall. I was frustrated mainly at the fact that I had been able to do the moves during training and thought I felt prepared with some experience from the World Cups. However, some days just don't work out. 



I would like to say a huge well done to Nuria and Kim who took gold and silver, and all the other junior girls - you did awesome!

It was then the junior men's final which I unfortunately missed as I was packing, but heard it was a great show with Max taking 1st and Lane 2nd. C1 also had finals, which included Adam for GB, but unfortunately he was not able to medal, but still did great. Islay was then up in the senior women's final and did great, but again didn't medal, despite some fab paddling. Marlene took the title, with Nina Csonka in 2nd and Zofia Tula (who finished 3rd in squirt) finishing 3rd again. 




Then it was time for what everyone had been waiting for... the senior men!

It was a close final, with positions constantly switching, but in the end, the favorite, Peter Csonka took the title beating the other competitors in his local spot. Quim finished in silver and James Bebbington took 3rd for Great Britain! The men's finals was shortly followed by the medal ceremonies and despite a few flag hiccups, the majority of it was successful. Then there was the after party of course.





More photos to follow

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/pbphoto.sk?fref=photo

Thanks also to Tom Zach, Nuria and the McGaley's for photos


Comments