Younguns Final Nottingham

After returning from Europeans, life has been busy with starting Sixth Form so have struggled to get on the water. But at last, I was back in Nottingham.

With the aim of a floodlit final, registration for the event didn't begin till 3pm, but we headed up earlier to paddle the course. We arrived just after lunch and I was straight on the course! 

It felt weird dropping into inlet again after the many days I have spent training there in preparation for the competitions in the summer. After just a few rides I was once again tuned into the top hole! However, from training in short rides for so long, my stamina has definitely decreased and soon I was tired having to drop off the feature. Despite this, I found both McNasty's and Phonics Monkey's easier than before, and after getting McNasty's in Plattling, I was keen to keep pushing these moves. 



I then dropped into twin waves, which has been altered slightly, and began working on some moves there and just having fun trying different moves. Currently, it is really nice to spin on the right shoulder, and left spins are easier than ever. The old sweet spot is back so I find it really nice to spin to set up for a loop. Twin still favors right moves, so Space Godzillas, cartwheels and split wheels were predominately done on my right. I also tried Phonics Monkeys in twin, and love them here! They are not quite there with the loop finish, but I was frustratingly close on some attempts.  

By now, it was time for Younguns to begin. 

The course was now a lot busier and in the half hour of training, I only had three rides, but didn't mind as it was great to see so many juniors on the water. Before we knew it, it was time for our rides.   




It began with a one ride in twin, and one in inlet, which for me went fairly well, although didn't get my space to cartwheel or McNasty in inlet. Some awesome rides were thrown down from everyone, particularly Harry Price, Charlie and Sam.





Then it went into the final which was held on twin. It was split into ages (both genders together) and in our categories had 20 minutes of jam session to score as much as possible. The top three were then put forward into a super final in Jaws (a new feature just below twin). Unfortunately, none of the girls made the super final, but everyone paddled really well.

I finished 2nd in the Nottingham event, which meant I also finished 2nd overall in the 2014 Younguns Series! This year's events have been great and although I feel the Nottingham event finished a bit too late, I am excited for the new ideas and alterations to the series for next year.

Comments