3* Canoeing

Having spent the day before in my usual playboat, I traded that in for a longer and somewhat bigger canoe for the day. Although completing part of my 3* canoe assessment while out in the Czech Republic with Girlguiding, there was still some left so with our coach Mel, and one of the leaders, Ellie, I completed the remainder of the assessment. 



We spent the day at Hay-on-Wye, and after a quick hot chocolate stop, we launched the canoes just below the weir. Here we practiced ferry gliding, poling, hanging draw and reverse ferry gliding, both solo and tandem before heading upstream a bit.

Further upstream we practiced more traditional strokes of Indian stroke and c-stroke, as well as bow draws and bow jams. Then it was the capsize drill where I rescued Ellie (and apparently the water was cold)! 

Before paddling downstream, we did a little more in the weir, surfing and breaking in/out before floating the last section. 



It was weird being back in a canoe having not been in one since the trip, but all went to plan, and I passed!


Comments