Burners: Boulters

As winter approaches, the Burners season kicks off once again and, although water levels are still fairly low, it was great to be back on the water!



Once at Boulters, our morning was focused on the water, and due to the low river levels, our session revolved around the pour over. Despite the sun shining, it was still quite cold and you could even see our breath! I didn't know what to expect as we arrived as although I have been twice before, the pour over has recently been improved for the summer's competitions. 



As typical with most pour overs, looping is difficult so I initially decided to work on cartwheels and split wheels as these are more suited to the feature. To my surprise the feature is actually quite good for cartwheeling and I manage lots of ends although occasionally stalling. I then decided to try cartwheels to split wheels, which went nicely in the feature. 



After having been working on McNasty's and Phonics Monkeys lately, I decided to give both a go with varying success. Where as the Phonics Monkey went shockingly well (only landing wonky on the loop), I struggled to get the McNasty into a back blast. Therefore, I then focused on Phonics Monkeys.



These have to one of my favorite moves, and although I am still refining them, I managed to complete at least 4 or 5!




Soon it was back to Jacko's for a classroom session focused on goal setting. 

The afternoon was spent setting goals for the coming year and finding if they were congruent to where and what we wanted to be. The process consisted of various activities including a PACER, theorems, mental rehearsal and lots more. 

The classroom work, to me, is just as essential as the training on the water as it allows us to be in the correct state of mind to compete and also gives us the tool to train effectively.


Comments