Burners: Hurley

Rain all during last week meant that at last, Hurley was running, albeit on only two gates. This meant that for our second Burners session of the year, we had a double water session and video analysis. 

As this was our first day back at Hurley, we wanted maximise time on the water. My first session started off great, absolutely loving being back on a wave and the completely different sense and feeling it gives you in comparison to a hole. However, slowly I became frustrated that I was unable to do moves I could do at the end of last season. 

Hurley weir at last year's SAS Hurley Classic

I knew this should have been expected, but it was frustrating none the less.

But this also made me more motivated - more motivated to meet and beat where I was last year.

The video analysis session helped highlight a few key areas that I needed to focus on, that would hopefully help enable me to push on to learning new moves. 

In the second session, I felt much more confident and relaxed on the feature and with this had more control. This allowed me to have many more attempts at moves as I could position myself, setting up and maximising opportunity. (And even reacting with loops off failed blunts!)

It is very unlikely you will ever get a perfect training situation, so it is vital that you learn from every opportunity and that you look for the possibilities rather than dwelling on negatives. 

With half term coming up, I'm excited to be spending more time on the water and getting in as much training as possible before the winter really sets in.



Comments