2014 SAS Hurley Classic


Saturday

With so many international paddlers attending the 25th anniversery of the Classic, Jacko organised a morning workshop in conjunction with Younguns. All the junior paddlers were split into teams and assigned a "star", and then each team moved round workshops and stations, which include land and water based sessions.



I was in team Nick Troutman! We began the morning on the water and after a quick warm up, we were on the weir refining our blunts. It was great to get time practising on the weir, especailly with some of the World's best who offering plenty of coaching. Next we had a flat water session where we worked on several different moves including ends and helixes, before using the wave train to try wave wheels, macho moves and flip turns. Our on water session finished with some SUP boarding. After a quick change, we begun the land based activities where we received a handful of mini talks of some of the trade leaders, including Palm, SurfPlugs and SquareRock. 

 




 
After the morning's activities it was time for the open session, however, I chose to have a rest and save energy.

As the day went on, the entertainment picked up a level with the Old School event! It was awesome to see all the retro kit (some of which is older than me) and the moves they tried to throw, including paddle spins, ends and even trying loops in a Topo! 

 

This was followed by the BoaterX which again was a great event to watch, and provided same great entertainment. 

 


As the BoaterX heats were underway, the results from the Paddle With The Stars competition were announced. I had made the Showcase Final as the only junior and it was a huge shock! 



One of the things I love the most about the Hurley Classic, is its emphasis on the community and friendship. This was highlighted on Saturday evening's banquet where over 220 people laughed, chatted and ate great food! During the evening's meal, I was also awarded the TVF Award for Most Improved Junior Female, which was a huge honour and quite a shock.


Sunday




Following two early mornings, I was glad to be in one of the later heats on Sunday, which meant it was mid morning before I arrived at the weir. Everything was already underway and there was lots of action on the feature, that was now on two gates.




As we cheered on friends and fellow paddlers, the water levels rose meaning the second gate which is normally the wave gate turned green and glassy, with virtually no foam pile. This meant it was extremely difficult to even front surf. Luckily, the lock keeper managed to open some of the radials, to lower levels, but still keep it fair.


Before long it was my heat. Heat 15 of 20.


However, with the amount of heats, I had lost track a bit, so although I was in kit ready, it was a bit of a rush to get on the water and warm up. But I did make it.

 

Heats were 20 minute jams to maximise time on the wave. Although I paddled fairly well on Saturday, I struggled to adapt and made poor decisions. The majority of my recent training has been wave practice but with the changed feature, I chose to go with hole moves.

Even though I didn't paddle my best, I still had fun and it was great to have the mix of paddlers all in one heat, from World Champions to first time competitors.

 
I was also interviewed by ITV just after my heats, and it was shown on TV!!
 
 
 
After great heats, both Jen and Sophie made the final and it was great to watch some of the other juniors paddling under the lights, and seeing Jen becoming British Champion in Junior Womens K1 and Womens Squirt!

It was great to have a second final under the lights, even if I wasn't paddling in it this time. There was a great atmosphere and with judging being done from the tent, the bridge was packed with spectators.






Overall I had an amazing weekend, even though I didn't paddle that well, and has just made me more motivated to continue training!

Well done to everyone who paddled...
 

Paula Volkmer
 
Ben Aldred
 
Kim Aldred

Ben Aldred
 
Quim Fontane
  
Olly Parry-Evans
  
Becka Eva
 
Seb Devred
 
Hugo Scott

Islay Crosbie
 
Sam Valman

Alan Ward
 

Comments