Hurley on 3!

At long last, it has rained enough for Hurley to make its return and for us to squeeze in some practice before next week's SAS Hurley Classic.

After a couple of meetings on the Saturday, we had a quick session in the afternoon until the light faded. With a week to go until the Classic, many people have begun to arrive from abroad, and as we got on the water, Stephen Wright, Nick TRoutman and Jason Craig were already on the water, throwing huge move one after another.

Although it wasn't a very long session, it was great to be back on Hurley and on the magic 3 gates for the first time this season.

Hurley is known for busy eddies, and Sunday was no different, especially as it was the weekend before the Classic. But to make the most of the day, myself, Jake and Jacko, were on the water at 8:30. With only a handful of people braving the morning chill, we had plenty of goes which meant I made lots of progress in this first session.

By 10:30, the remaining Burners had joined us on the feature and the eddies were super busy with many other paddlers trying to squeeze in practice too.

It's great to see so many people paddling, but it was difficult to remain focused and not waste rides when you had a chance. However, I had a good second session working on roundhouses and pivot turns.

After jumping off for a quick lunch and watching the paddling from the bridge above, I was keen not to waste time or get cold so was quickly back on the water. I then set my focus to blunts, which with coaching of Jacko and advice of Stephen Wright, I was soon making lots of progress. As the feature was fairly retentive, I was also managing to stick blunts on both sides by the end of the day.

Seven and half hours paddling and I was exhausted, so we called it a day and headed back to the carpark. I had a great overall day on the water and feel that I am at last making progress on waves ready for the Hurley Classic, selections and ultimately, World Championships.

Comments