ASP: Hurley


With holidays coming to an end, we grabbed a final chance to get down to Hurley for more practice, with Dennis Newton as part of his ASP Programme. When we arrived, the car park was a little busy, but mainly with walkers, so there was only six of us paddling.



As gate 3 was temporarily broken, it was on a split 3 gates, so gates 1 and 2 were open for a normal two gates, but gate 4 was also open. This meant the eddy was slightly harder to navigate than normal, and you had to roll up quick or take a little detour, but we soon got used to it. 

In the morning, I spent some time working on accessing the right parts of the feature to set up and try blunts. It was quite flushy but holey at the same time so each ride had varying success. 



For our third mini session, Dennis got the camera out so we could do some video analysis, and the gates were also changed to the normal 3 gates! Although a little holey still, it was great and after paddling two and four gates most of the holidays, was good to be on three. I carried on with blunts, but Dennis also threw in the challenge on Pan Am's. By the end of the session I was sticking more and more blunts, and what had originally been my weaker side, is now my stronger side. I even almost got a Pan Am left, but admittedly fell on my face and flushed. 


Finally, it feels like things may be starting to come together, and with lots more work, my wave boating could begin to reach a similar level to hole boating. 


Thanks to Den for coaching and photos:)



Comments