Burners & ASP

Despite having a fairly sore arm from injections for Uganda, I needed to make the most of the final training days before selections and so once again we headed down to Hurley. With Dennis back from his adventures in Australia and New Zealand, it was also a good chance to catch up with him and refine the last few moves.


Saturday

Burners on Saturday was predominantly competition focused due to us all aiming for Team. Therefore, we began with a mini competition to replicate the upcoming event as much as possible. For me, my rides were OK, but I could have done a lot better - however, looking back, with a sore arm, and being tired from paddling in the week, I am content with the rides.


Then we set about working on rides and only making minor adjustments to moves. This meant that I spent a lot of the day trying to increase the angle on my blunts, but also trying back blunts. (Although this isn't exactly competition prep, I am still keen to be learning new moves throughout to keep things varied.) 


For our afternoon session, I started trying more back blunts, and also left blunts as I am beginning to favor the right more and more. On most moves, I tend to have a favored direction - like most people - however, I believe it is important to go both ways, and although it is harder at the time, learning bilaterally is easier in the long run.



I struggled during both these sessions, mainly with frustration at not being able to do moves  I know I can do, but also the physical limit of my body. In hindsight, I understand that I was tired, and have learnt that I can still perform in this state, but it will not be my best. 

Sunday

A thick frost overnight meant that our early morning blast at Hurley felt more like it was the middle of January. Although it was -1 degrees when we got on the water, we soon warmed up as it was very empty, and kept a high intensity so not to get cold. 



I knew the session was only short, so I aimed to keep the intensity considerably higher which really helped my blunts. This combined with leaning over more meant they were much more consistent at scoring blunts, as opposed to being fairly borderline. 

Then we headed over to Lee Valley.


Thanks to GB Freestyle, we had been granted an extra training session as there was some raft guide training taking place on the course. This meant we essentially had "exclusive" use. This was fantastic as it felt significantly more relaxed and without the worry of creek boats could focus on the feature. 



Despite the occasional raft, it was a lot easier to concentrate on the moves and I finally seem to have grasped the feature a little. 

The only way to really describe the feature in my mind is opportunistic - you have to just make the most of what happens, and if the time arises just throw it. Yes, you still have to initiate moves and know how to do them well, but in terms of setting up, you just have to take every opportunity offered. 


I then stayed on the water for the open session, and carnage was some what of an under statement! Both eddies were full, a constant stream of creek boaters and even the occasional boat meant it was not that productive (which I knew it wouldn't be) - and actually quite entertaining. You probably could have counted all my rides in the hour on just your hands, but I wasn't too concerned as the session before had been great. 


I feel like this is prepared as I am going to be, and am now resting up for the week to maximize my physical ability next weekend.  





Comments