Back to HPP

Five days after landing in the UK, withdrawal symptoms were hitting hard and so what better remedy than more kayaking!

A lot has changed since our last trip almost 6 months ago and the journey up the motorway felt very weird. I was excited to paddle there again but felt strange after the current considerable focus on waves.


As we launched on to the course, I was abruptly reminded of my significantly more northern location. A distinct lack of sun, the bitter wind and Arctic water temperature was a stark contrast from the blissful conditions of the previous month.

But this didn't dampen my spirits!


It was fantastic to be back, and after a ride or two to adjust, I was soon accustomed to the significantly slower speed on inlet. I spent the morning practicing Space Godzillas, cartwheels and split wheels - trying to reduce time setting up and attempting links. As well, I continued work from last season with McNasty's and Phonics Monkey's.



In the afternoon, I set myself some fun challenges to link more moves and try new moves. Linking moves with loops went surprisingly well as I managed Space to loop, cartwheel to loop and even did a Space to loop to Space the opposite way! Inspired by this success, I also tried loop to McNasty and loop to Phonics Monkey. After trying links, I then decided to try lunar orbits, as I had been trying a few on the flat water over the winter.


Having not long returned from a month in Uganda, the main aim of the day had been to have fun and just to experiment with kayaking. It was great to paddle with everyone and catch up on the UK circuit (but I do miss Uganda).



Comments