Uganda - Part 2 (World of Champions)


After three weeks of living in paradise, kayaking everyday and just having an epic time, the World of Champions camp began. Now, I felt very at home on both Special and Club so was super excited to raise the bar once again.


With so many incredible international kayakers also taking part, it was initially a little daunting but the excitement of paddling with everyone soon outweighed any nerves.


As well as continuing with the wave based training, we also began classroom sessions (if you can call them that). These focused on everything from video analysis to mental rehearsal, and technique to anchors. During the land sessions we also did KATAs which really helped me with my back blunts, as I realized I was trying to do it all on one edge. 

During the first part of the camp, I continued work on blunts, pan ams and back blunts. I also begun trying to focus on retaining moves, and increasing moves per ride as opposed to just landing on my face. This became more successful once I begun to look over my left shoulder which then angled me back to the more retentive section. 




Part way through the week, we also had a competition on Special hosted by Sam and Emily who were holding Ugandan Team Training. With over 30 people expected to be in the eddy, the competition was a good way to reduce waiting and gain extra, much needed, competition practice. I found this session really useful, and although I didn't paddle as well as in practice, I managed to get a blunt on the last ride, just before flushing. When we scored them in the evening, I had finished 16th overall, and 6th in women. 



In the last few days, I began to really focus on the fine details and refining each moves while also trying to chunk more moves together and up the ride intensity by reducing time setting up. Even on the final day, we managed to do two water sessions, pre and post breakfast, both on club (and it was a good level)! 



Although it was training, it never felt like that as it was just so much fun. My boating feels significantly stronger and am excited to continue training, ready for Worlds. The whole trip had been incredible and it is definitely an experience I will never forget! 













Comments