Bitches Weekend! (Day 2)

For a second morning running, we were greeted by the incredibly beautiful view off the coast of Wales. The swell wasn't as big as yesterday so over breakfast, we finalised a plan. 

After a quick stop off to check for any surf, we decided to head up the coast to Aberiddy to an area called Blue Lagoon. With the tide out, and no surf, the next best thing was a cliff jumping session! 



Although Jacko had described the area the night before, it hadn't fully prepared me for the staggering sight. Crystal blue pool of water, bordered by jagged, grey rocks and the consistent crashing of waves soundtrack, surrounded the platforms of slate in the farthest corner. It was like a scene from Red Bull Cliff Diving! Even from a distance, the disused quarry stanchions looked high, but as we swam across the ice cold rock pool, I realized they were higher than I first anticipated. 



My heart was already racing from the icy swim, but as we clambered to the first height of approximately 20ft, a bizarre combination of adrenaline, madness and fear swept over me. Peering over the edge, what I was about to do felt kinda funny and part of me just wanted to laugh (in retrospect, I think it was nerves).  As I leaped off the edge, I braced for impact, holding my breath, but the free fall continued for longer than I expected. With my eyes closed, I just waited until all of a sudden, the water engulfed me, forcing air out of my lungs. It was awesome!


Somehow, not quite sure how, I found myself stood 35ft above a relic of a slate quarry, reluctantly prying over the edge, my mind racing with insignificance, heart racing, and stomach churning. Two steps back. Run. 


Jump. 

Falling, and then still more falling - a sense of ethereality. I must have been halfway down when the enormity of the moment hit me, and in that split second, all the fear, epinephrine, and hysteria, escaped and now, I screamed. Before being swallowed up by the mass of water as I plunged deep, resurfacing seconds later, laughing, and spluttering. It was definitely no textbook Tom Daley entry. 


The sensation was addictive as within minutes, I found myself at the top once again for round 2! 



Despite so much time spent on/in water, I felt exposed without the safety net of a kayak, but the experience had been incredible!



We all headed back on a high, quickly getting changed and out of the bitter wind, before heading to St Davids for lunch and ice cream on the way to St Justinians where the boat was moored. 


Then it was time to head out to the Bitches!! The wind was slightly more in our favor, and we were even joined by some other local paddlers. It was another incredible session and although the wave wasn't prime, I did manage to catch the top feature briefly. Similar to Saturday, the second wave was still working so I tried practicing blunts and back blunts, with the intention of getting more vertical for pan ams. Despite feeling the effects of the tough conditions, and being somewhat exhausted, I couldn't let myself waste this fantastic opportunity so I carried on paddling and lapped up the outstanding scenery. 

 


I really loved the whole experience of being in the midst of the ocean, sun beating down, surfing an incredible ocean wave. However, I did find it physically very difficult. The demands of the environment are very different to my usual paddling features, and I found this exhausting. But these conditions, also made for the beautiful nature of our surroundings, and so I wouldn't change them, and instead feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to experience such a great freestyle venue. 



Comments