Kayaking & Work Experience

After a week by the coast on a biology field trip, I was eager to get back on a river. When I arrived, I was a little disappointed that there was still lacking inlet and an eddy service, but in the end, I just wanted to go paddling.

Burners

I found the morning very tough, lacking energy and feeling rough, on a course that, in my mind, was difficult to train on. I spent most the morning between Jaws and Muncher, but struggled to make eddies so had to get out lots. 



However, after lunch and putting up the tent, I felt a lot better and had more energy - which showed in my paddling. I forgot about training, and just kayaked for fun, still learning moves. For the majority of the afternoon, I practiced McNastys in Jaws and left blunts in Muncher, as well as trying Woo Tricky, Tricky Woos and Lunar Orbits. 


The day had finished off much better, and to top it off, we even went wake boarding! (Although this involved lots of face plants)

Work Experience

For my week of work experience, I had organised to work with Alex, and Wilkinson Photography (which is handily based at the whitewater center). For this, I would be largely taking photos of rafting sessions, but it also gave me the flexibility to go kayaking as well. 



Work experience was actually really good and by the end of the week, was even able to do the session by myself taking photos of the groups rafting. 


In addition to working, I also had the opportunity to go kayaking. By the end of the week, I had managed to get a McNasty in every feature and feel like I have progressed a lot with this move. At the start of the week I had found Troll hard to set up in and retain moves, however, after some morning sessions focused on the feature, I felt I progressed lots and can now begin to chunk moves together. 



As the course isn't its optimum, we also got the opportunity to try lots of other activities as it was quite. So, we went on duckies, got downtime, rafting, body boarding and surfing!! 


It was a really fun week and great to get an idea of the possibilities of working, kayaking and having fun! 






Comments

Post a Comment