12 Days of Burners - Garb & Push Button

Day 6

On the sixth day of Burners, I had a new Rockstar, and first session on Garb.



To beat the crowds, we decided to go for an early, pre breakfast session at Garb, splitting the group in two, one based on Garb and one on Push Button before switching. We all had a few rides on Garb first. Initials impressions were that it is big and fast, but also fairly friendly (it may throw you around, but it will spit you out); although overall, very challenging. The speed of Habitat compared to the speed of Garb, is the difference between a steam train, and the bullet train. 



With a stereotypical Canadian backdrop, I headed just downstream to Push Button to work on blunts. Although a lot smaller than Garb (currently on -2.0) it was still a great feature and really useful to get used to the new Rockstar. I was apprehensive about trying the boat and it is very different to old boat, so found myself capsizing in situations I would normally sail through. At the end of the session, I had a few more rides on Garb, but was still working it out.


The reality really sunk in that this is where I would be competing, and I tried imagining it with all the stands, commentary and scoring; it made me nervous.

After brunch, we headed back to the Lorne rapids to do another session. Again, we spent some time working on Push Button, securing the action of each move, before heading upstream to Garb. 


Here I had about six rides and seem to be figuring out the feature a little; I managed right blunts, spins and roundhouses, and have begun working out various ways to set up on the feature. Once I secured that first blunt, my confidence grew immediately and am keen to get working on pushing my boating, regardless of Worlds. 

A major challenge of the day was sussing out both the features and a new boat: the new Rockstar is considerably faster and narrower so feels very different. It's going to take me a fair bit longer to get used to it, but I feel we are off to a reasonable start.

Comments

Post a Comment