Canada Training

After Burners finished over a week ago, a lot has changed and we are now in quite a routine as the majority of athletes are here or on their way. Home is now Wilderness Tours and life is pretty straightforward: kayak, eat, chill.




Garburator, on the Lorne rapids, forms as a colossal amount of water is funnel into a smaller channel, bordered by islands, resulting in a green wave and feisty foam pit behind. I have rapidly learnt that if you weren’t awake already; Garb will surely shake you awake.
Since Burners disbanded, I felt less pressure on each session in some ways, but more in others as I have had to manage and focus my own training throughout this time. Being in the new Rockstar feels a lot more natural recently, and I am even beginning to be able to adapt to the changing levels. I am now way more confident on Garb, and feel like I have been able to make lots of progress: actually doing blunts, going for (and sometimes retaining) back blunts and just creating more passes. With the help of other paddlers, I have been able to make breakthroughs in moves and mentality as the competition draws nearer. Being on the water everyday has been awesome!


The build up to the event has reminded me how incredible the kayaking community is, as even with such a big competition approaching, athletes continuously offer tips and advice, coaching each other to go even bigger. In the eddy, or on the banks, everyone is super friendly and great to be around – whether it is joking on country stereotypes, splashing or swimming, or just sharing stories. I’ve met some awesome people already, and sure I will meet many more. The constant banter, and frequent misunderstanding as comments are lost in translation make it an amusing atmosphere.

However, it has been tough at times. During many sessions, I have become frustrated that I am not paddling to my best; struggling to retain moves, reacting too slowly, or just getting trashed. The wave has broken me – and it is fair to say, quite a few other paddlers too. Not every session goes to plan, and this was definitely the case when my paddles snapped on my first ride of a morning session. Undoubtedly though, the good times far outweigh the difficulties. At times I have even forgotten that actually we are “training” as it seems too fun.


Now, with less than a week before official training commences, I hope to get as much time on the water as possible, but am also taking to time out with a trip to Chutes Cologne (for an aerial obstacle course and zip lining) to recover and heal an ear infection. I know it will be good for me to escape the scene with still over two weeks here, but it also hard to leave.


Looking towards the competition, I am excited, but nervous as well (especially with prelims being on my 18th birthday). Everyone is looking strong on the wave, and although there is a fair sharing on beat downs, boats are flying higher by the day.







Comments

Post a Comment