Cardiff with The Children's Kayak Charitable Trust

With half term drawing to an end, there was just enough time for another trip to some white water! After finding out about the charity at the opening of PRSYC, I was excited to have the opportunity to head to CIWW with them and hopefully offer some tips. 

With the minibus fully loaded, we arrived at CIWW just before the water turned on. Everyone had a go a running the 4, and all that had a go made it the whole way down the course at least once upright. After a few runs down, and an eddy hopping run to try to make as many eddies as possible, the water then went up to 6 cumecs.

In the afternoon the water turned onto 8 cumecs, which is much more suited to freestyle. With a few getting of to head over the road for swimming, we got on with learning some new tricks. I spent the majority of time in vicarious (on the first corner) and camera wave, predominantly practising phonics monkeys, spaces and some cartwheel orientated combinations. As well, I helped to offer coaching points to paddlers working on loops and cartwheels.

Overall, it was an awesome day, and I really feel that everyone achieved something - whether it was running a water level for the first time or securing that first loop. I'm really glad I had the chance to meet this group and hope I can continued to be involved.


Photos to follow.

Comments