Half Term HPP



With the week off due to half term, I was keen to get in some extra kayaking. After a cold session on Sunday, I'd even dugout the gloves I haven't worn since I first started paddling. Although initially they were a bit more difficult as I lost a degree of feeling and grip, I soon got used to them and adapted. This meant I managed much longer sessions and was more willing to fall on my head much more!



We were also lucky enough to have the opportunity to gain extra tips and coaching from Den as part of the ASP programme. 



When we first arrived, I felt a little bit lost with what to do. Having had so much focus on competition rides and refining the smallest of sections of moves, I had developed some tunnel vision. Now, with the whole potential score sheet in front of me, it couldn't decide what to do next. So to get back into the swing of things I ended up doing more competition rides!


After a quick catch up with Den, for my second session I was excited to head back to working on new moves, and with the input from Den, quickly worked out what was going wrong. Throughout Wednesday, I ended up doing three sessions and trying more McNasty's (even though they were in my competition ride) and lunar orbits. I also increased the tempo of my chunks, trying out more combinations and adding cartwheels to try and link moves.





On Thursday, we were back on the water early and the weather was actually surprisingly nice (unlike rain all of the day before). With gloves on and two skull caps, I was prepared to try more brain chilling moves - namely, lunars and tricky woos, where your head is under the water for most the move. Again I did three sessions spaced out through the day, mainly focusing on lunars, phonics monkeys and tricky woos. In the final session, we also tried back loops (another brain freezing move). 





Having paddled with lots of people over the weekend and having the input from Den has reignited some creativity and curiosity in my paddling. I am now more excited than ever to be learning new moves and spending this year pushing my paddling up.










Comments