Hurley - Boat Testing

With freedom at last with the loan of a car from Hills Ford, I was more eager than ever to get on the water. Having a car this last week has been incredible and allowed me the opportunity to finely balance exams and kayaking, still with a few exams left. Three exams in two days, meant that as soon as I saw the possibility of Hurley being paddle-able, I couldn't think of anything else.

Come Saturday morning, the car was all packed and I was ready to go. But Hurley was still on a split 2 gates...

Then mid morning, the thumbs up arrived from Aaron, and within a matter of minutes I was on the road, abandoning any possibility of revision!

As well as a break from exams, this trip had a second purpose of testing out boats. Carbon boats in particular. Although the small (more the 2014 Rockstar) plastic is currently good for me, Marsport is unlikely to be providing moulds for this, meaning it would be a long wait for one from America. As one of the main limits to be using a plastic medium is the strength to volume ratio, it was suggested I tried a medium in carbon. In theory, there is not too much difference between a medium minus and small plus so I was definitely up to try this idea. 

So having arrived not long after lunch, I then was soon on the water. Having paddled all afternoon and well into the evening, I have had many thoughts, and know significantly closer to an informed decision. (However I would just like to say these are my personal opinions for what is right for me at this time!)

Being able to try both in one day was definitively incredible useful (especially as I also had a small 2014 plastic with me as an extra comparison). However, I also have to remember I did spend longer in the 2016 medium and this was also outfitted better for me. This meant when I tried the 2014 medium minus I was more tired and did have less connectivity. In both though, I would move the seat further forward. 

This aside, I did find the 2014 looser on the wave, easing carving and moving to the top of the wave. In the 2016, I did sometimes feel 'stuck' to the green and that it was not always as easy to move to the top and set up. However, when initiating the blunt, it felt easier to bounce off the green in the 2016. But in both, edge to edge transfer was slower compared to the small.Compared to the small, the increased width was noticeable. Also, I was slower at carving and cartwheeling was noticeably more difficult - the extra volume meant it was more difficult to initiate, and then having extra width meant I felt it harder to continue ends. 

All in all, I am now more informed, but still have lots to think about. This is only a brief overview of my thoughts of these boats, and there are plenty of variables I've not even touched. The next step is really to try medium boats in a hole (ideally inlet) which should give me a much clearer idea on how the volume would affect cartwheels, split wheels, McNasty's etc. I am also keen to try the small plus again in 2014 and 2016. 

Even with some big decisions still on the horizon, it was awesome to get out on the water and really fun to try some carbon boats out! (There will be a mini video coming soon, but still using footage for comparison)

Comments