Hurley - "Musical Boats"

With a final impromptu trip to Hurley before I head off backpacking round Europe, I took the opportunity to try some more boats. Hurley was still running on a good two gates, and after the sun was shining too. However, with all my excitement, I managed to leave a vital piece of kit at home - my cagdeck! So after a quick detour to Square Rock, I was soon on the water (big thanks to Aaron for saving the day)!!

Throughout the day it was never really busy, with a maximum of just 6 or 7 on the water so was a great opportunity. Over the course of the day, I ended up in many boats including: 2016 Rockstar small, 2014 Rockstar small, 2014 Rockstar medium, (all plastic), and 2016 Rockstar small plus (carbon). This on top of having tried the 2016 Rockstar medium (carbon) and 2014 Rockstar medium minus (carbon) last week. 

With the chance to try so many boats, on  relatively stable water level, in the same place has given me a good opportunity to compare the boats ad which suits me best. 

Between the two small Rockstars (2016 and 2014), I have decided that all round the 2014 suits me better as a paddler with the increased volume and looser hull on a wave. Having paddled both these at HPP, I had slowly begun to swap back to the 2014 and now am almost certain this is my preferred model in small. I then tried the medium 2014 Rockstar, and although the extra volume was good, it felt quite lumber-some and more difficult to manoeuvre from edge to edge transfers, impeding the verticality of certain moves. However, this had been less noticeable in both the medium carbon boats previously die to the lesser weight and being quicker on the wave. For me, I wouldn't go 2014 Rockstar medium in plastic, but may still consider it in a cut down carbon (depending on how I find it in a hole). 

I then tried the 2016 Rockstar small plus, and although I still think I prefer the 2014 hull design, I did like the size of this boat. It had the added volume (although I reckon I could still go with more) while remaining narrower for easier edge to edge transfer. However, I still found it sometimes more dificult to carve up of the green to set up due to the boat shape. 

Overall, I am swaying towards the 2014 model, either in small plus (to keep narrow) or medium minus.

But at the same time, I am yet to try most of these in a hole, so we will wait and see...

As I am now heading away for a few weeks, it will be interesting to see how they all compare in a hole. I plan to make a video of paddling done in all boats, but likely to be not until I return. 

Comments