Re-equating with HPP

Over two months out of a play boat and getting back in one I finally understood what people mean when they say my boat is small! (Definitely a big change from creek boats in Italy anyway.)

Even driving up felt strange as I now have even more freedom thanks to Hills Ford. On arrival, not much had changed other than some new kayaks and SUPs, as well as sun for once. The course was still set up fairly similar, and of course inlet was still there. 

Getting changed and onto the water felt quite strange, as if see an old friend after months apart. But there was still the overriding feeling of excitement!

It felt even stranger actually going for moves, and readjusting to my boat and paddles. However, soon enough I felt right at home and things began to flow again. My reduction in fitness was definitely evident, and other than being rusty on a couple of moves, it felt so good to be on the water and in a play boat again. Having been running rivers, the idea of doing the same moves over and over again had seemed quite odd and even monotonous, but as soon as I was doing them, it was just too much fun and two moves are never exactly the same.


Once I had reminded myself of the basics, of loops, space Godzillas and cartwheels, I was back to working on McNasty's. With my right having always been stronger, I soon settled into this direction, but the left has become more illusive due to lack of practise. I also continued working on lunar orbits and also started trying a few more Phonics Monkey's again, although both only on the right. (Note to self: go both ways!)

This is definitely going to be important on my next adventure: 6 weeks Uganda! After my last visit around 18 months ago, and with the imminent installation of the dam, I have been very eager to get back to the Nile and can't wait to paddle there again. 


Comments