Scotland Creeking

Within just over a week, I have gone from the equatorial rain forests and big water White Nile, to sub zero temperatures and bony rivers of Scotland (and it really has been quite a shock to the system!).




For the last few years, the vast majority of my boating has been evolved around freestyle, and so going back to big boats felt like a strange swap. Significantly heavier, it took a while to get used to but I was excited to progress another area of my kayaking. 

Lack of rain meant the rivers in Scotland were very low, limiting a few of our options, but there were still numerous summer dam releases which meant our options could be wider. Having never been to Scotland before, I was excited to get the chance to paddle rivers I have only ever heard of. 




Over the week, we paddled a variety of rivers including the Garry, Roy Gorge, Upper Morriston, Grandtulley and Allt Cheurein. Despite missing the quintessential Scottish river, the Etive, the Morriston and Roy have to be up there with some of my favourites. The lower Morrsiton (grade 4+) will however have to stay on the hit list as I watched from the banks feeling slightly under-the-weather. 





Top moments on the river include running op drop on the Morriston, navigating through Roy Gorge and lapping the Garry. I also particularly enjoyed Allt Cheurein, even in low water, and quite literally pinballing down pinball, assisted with air. 

(Sometimes it doesn't always go to plan, or is it more that I can't stay away from a good stopper!)

Off the water, we were also lucky enough to see the Northern Lights, and although not quite the spectacle seen further north, it was still pretty cool. It was awesome to get the chance to mix up my boating and paddle some new rivers, also pushing myself out my comfort zone. There is definitely going to be some more creeking in the future.














Comments