HPP, Carbon and plenty of Antix

Although just a small part of life as a whole, being out of a boat for three months had still felt like an eternity! Returning to Nottingham felt like 'dejavu', as I reminisced about how much of my time had been spent here previously. 

Before even getting on the water, I knew it would be tough - mainly as I had lost fitness and muscle while away. However, I vastly underestimated how frustrating it would be knowing how to do a move that you once could do, but not being able to actually complete it. I had lost the ability to tie all the small components of each move together and felt like a beginner. 

In addition, I was struggling to get the outfitting in my new carbon comfortable, and at the start, spent more time getting in than actually in inlet. Getting a carbon boat was the result of a lot of hard work and I had great expectations (but potentially unrealistic). I had hoped to just jump straight in and pull of incredible rides; however, the truthful reality is a lot more time and effort outfitting, having to be mindful that they are not as durable and adjusting to a new boat. Don't get me wrong, I love my carbon and have already had rides where I could just feel the difference, but it was less of the fairy tale than I anticipated. 

Before lunch, feeling tired and annoyed, I decided I needed a break and took the opportunity to test out the new Jackson Antix. With a creek bow, and a much slicier hull, it was awesome fun to run down the course and surf on various features (despite leaving the bung open on the first run!). Definitely up there on choices for some river playing fun!

The first day had been tiring and draining, mentally, emotionally and physically, but I was determined to pick myself up and crack on with some training. 

It was another day of biting winds whipping spray into your already frozen face and almost horizontal drizzle dampening everything, but was mood was definitely brighter! I knew where I stood with what I could still do, and set to just doing short intense session practising moves. To avert frustration, I just kept reminding myself of being out of a boat and took a step back to remind myself how to do each move. 

All in all my paddling was definitely better and I enjoyed the day a lot more. Joined by fellow paddlers throughout the day, the short sessions gave me time to acclimatise to the arctic conditions in comparison to what I have been used to. In the evening, it even bordered on summer HPP queuing levels with 7 boaters all waiting for their ride (or just a submersion in the icy river). 

It had been a roller coaster few days, but leaving HPP I feel a lot more upbeat, determined and eager to be on the water and training. Going forward will be tough and challenging, but I'm prepared to take it on and come out the other side. 



Comments