Natural Games 2017 (and European Cup #1)


Now two thirds of the way through our European adventure, we headed to our final destination of Millau for the Natural Games! Having been to the area four years ago for the Natural Games, and World Cup for my first ever international (where I came 3rd), I was excited to head back and compare how my paddling had come on. 

With the event not kicking off until Thursday, and kayaking heats until Saturday, we had a number of days training before competing.



Throughout training I mainly focused on loops, space Godzillas and cartwheels, ensuring the base moves were refined to the feature. With these some what secured, I then began working on McNasty's and Phonics Monkeys.

By Thursday as the event began, crowds were even forming for training - it was awesome to see the interest in our sport and excitement from outdoor enthusiasts. 



On Friday, the first kayaking event began with a BoaterX - with a change a course, and obstacles put in place, everyone on the ramp was rearing to go (despite the invasion of British weather). I was in the third women's heat, and managed to secure a 2nd place making it through to the semi finals! (Even though I missed a few paddle strokes having not paddled with a feather for a while and never having paddled the boat.) However, didn't quite make it through to the finals after an unlucky run and plenty of carnage as always!




Soon enough, heats came around on the Saturday, and with a full day of French Championships, French Team Selections and Natural Games, the water was constantly busy. Having spent the last few days concentrating on more difficult moves, but not quite being able to pull them off, my rides scored less than I hoped and had to await results to see if I had made the semi final cut. 



Luckily I had just scrapped through in 10th position, by only 40 points, and sadly knocking fellow GB paddler, Lowri, into 11th. 



The following day it was semi finals time, and with a bit of time to hang around, I grabbed the opportunity to see some of the other sports going on at the event. By lunchtime it was turn and having finished 10th yesterday decided that I would go for my more ambitious rides as couldn't finish any lower. However, this didn't quite pay off and I ended up maintaining my 10th position. 



Regardless of the result, it was still super fun to see all the kayaking as well as plenty of other sports including the Enduro World Cup, paragliding, climbing and slack lining. Definitely an event I would look to visit again in the future!






Comments