Off-water Watersports Training




Lockdown in the UK as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic provided many challenges, but also highlighted the importance of other aspects of life. Like many, I found keeping active became more important and finding different ways to exercise has been great fun.
Prior to lockdown, the majority of my training was based on the water or in a typical gym setting. However, with both of these ‘out of bounds’, I had to become creative and find new ways to continue training.

I am thankful for being in the lucky position to have been able to convert our old childhood summer house into a mini gym and managed to borrow weights and some equipment off a very helpful neighbour. Some days, despite having a gym less than 100m from my bed, it was still difficult to get motivated, but I knew that in the long run it will be beneficial, and I felt better after getting active. It was then, that my experience as an athlete and skills in self-discipline were even more beneficial.

"Discipline is doing what you hate to do, but nonetheless doing it like you love it.” 
Mike Tyson

Training off the water for a water-based sport has been interesting, and I have learnt a lot. Some of the exercises and workouts below have been written by fellow athletes and coaching staff. Below I have compromised some of my favourite exercises and workouts to hopefully inspire others to keep active. Although the gyms are soon planning to reopen, this time in lockdown has really taught me a lot and a degree of home training may remain for me.

Disclaimer: I am not a personal trainer or trained in sports exercises, this is purely suggestions that I have found useful for my own kayaking. Before any exercise, it is important to warm up and stay within your capabilities while exercising. If you have injuries, or are sedentary, it is important to consult a health professional before taking part in any exercises.



Bench press and bent over row
As a classic, stereotypical gym move, the bench press focuses on the chest and arms and therefore is a great move to build upper body strength. I have always enjoyed this move and found it useful to combine with a bent over row in a superset. The row helps replicate the pull of a kayak paddle and both can be performed with weights or resistance bands.

When super-setting these moves, I typically alter the number of sets and repetitions as well as weight to build a variety of power and strength endurance depending on the point in the competitive season.

Sandro’s conditioning circuit
500m run, 10 press ups, 10 squats, 10 burpees, 10 triceps dips (repeat 5 times, record total time).
I actually find this circuit quite difficult and am always out of breath when doing it (especially because finding a relatively flat 500m by my home is quite difficult). However, it has also been great to work on my weaknesses and feel these are the areas where the biggest gains can happen.
The circuit itself seems friendly, but involves around 25 minutes of all-out energy, working almost every muscle in the body. This has also been great during lockdown as has provided focus to getting outdoors and requires no equipment (I just used a park bench to dip off).

Wood chop
This again is another tough exercise that I can always feel working but is also great for kayaking as it works your obliques and core rotation.

Russian twists
Russian twists are my go-to core move to support my kayaking. There are so many variations, using weights, with pauses, on a swiss ball, I have learnt over the years which provide great core activation.


Each week during lockdown, I have also been more able to find time, energy, and motivation to work more on my endurance and sustained cardio activities. Since stopping playing hockey to focus on kayaking, I have had periods where I have got into routines with running but while at University, this was largely restricted to treadmills. While at home, I took the opportunity of having the countryside to get back into running outdoors and have really enjoyed being able to get outside with purpose and focus, being able to improve over the weeks.

In addition, it has been great to get outside on bike rides around the Malvern Hills (despite the steep terrain in places) and in the nascence of my two-wheeled commute, still find time to get out on my bike. When training outside, being ready for all weather conditions is critical. A lightweight, breathable waterproof shell jacket has been essential, and allowed training to adapt. 

During this time, challenges are inevitable, but I have enjoyed also being able to try new activities, take more time to focus on my training, and get active each day. I have learnt that having a routine and something to focus on and progress with has allowed me to also keep focus in other aspects of my life, including revising and completing University.

Comments